Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why TTV?


TTV stands for Through the Viewfinder and this method of photography uses 2 cameras, one for the actual image capture and the other acts as a complicated lens. I think the reason why I am drawn to TTV is that I have always wanted my images to be exactly what I see when I look into the camera. I'm tired of unpredictable P&S digital cameras that somehow always give me grief.

The framing of the final image is so vintage ViewMaster (mine was blue!) which has always struck me as magical. The capture process reminds me of Alice and her adventures Through the Looking Glass, where we can take an adventure to a strange and wonderful place, but maybe they were the same places all along. Or maybe I am drawn to TTV simply because I wear glasses and I cry a lot and they are perpetually spotted and distorted especially along the edges.

Artistically, I am drawn to TtV because I am working with a distorted capture a unique perception of reality dictated by the individual viewfinder camera's fingerprint (whether the lenses are scratched or marred or the mirror spotty or the prevalence of dust or other contaminants) not by pixel manipulation and post processing an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment